Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Updates and Happy Books

So. Did I talk about a reading slump last time? That's funny, because here I am, still in one. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm reading a ton for classes, but I haven't been able to read for fun for over a month. That Goodreads challenge bar mocks me.

This time, it's not that I don't want to read, it's that I actually have no time. I'm so busy, which is great, but I also just need time to read (Also probably not helpful: I'm doing NaNoWriMo! I just hit 14,000 words). So, I'm working on being more efficient with my work time, so that I can have more of a relaxing time where I can read. Fingers crossed.




But today is Election Day! And I'm sure you're all stressed about that. I know I am. I've been having trouble with stress and anxiety all throughout this election. But here's the thing: I've voted, and now I wait. There's nothing else for me to do tonight.

I think one of the best things we can learn from this election (sorry, politics alert) is that the kind of polarizing, awful, hateful speech we've gotten from both sides this time around is too much. It leads to bad feelings and stress all around. And I know that, likely, nothing bad will happen to me directly as a result of this election--so I plan to use that privilege to spread positivity and love. I do service, I have discussions about important topics with people, I do whatever I can to help the next campaign not be like this one. (Maybe it's naive, but if you don't have joy to use as a tool, what do you have? All you need is love!)

So, how does this relate to books? Books are some of the best comforters there are. If you're stressed by the results of this election, you are absolutely entitled to take a break from this world and enter another (Come back after a few days; we need you here, but take a little break). So I thought I'd share some of my favorite comforting books.


First up is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle. It's fantasy, so it will actually take you away from this world, but also, it's all about the power of love to stop evil. If that doesn't warm your heart, I don't know what will.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman is similar in that it's also a fantasy novel, and that it's all about the power of true love. Also, I know this is about the book, and I love the book, but of course I encourage you to watch the movie after reading it. That's my best prescription for happiness: reading, and then watching, The Princess Bride. 

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han is a contemporary novel about a girl who writes love letters to her crushes, and then one day, her little sister mails them out. Sounds stressful, you say? Maybe, but she also bakes cookies and is cute and the whole family is adorable. It will make you very happy in the end, I promise.

The other books I'm recommending tonight are any books by Jane Austen! I love: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Emma, and Northanger Abbey (Although this one is a little more Gothic than the others). Jane Austen's books are so nice for escapism, because they can be dramatic, but then they'll generally get wrapped up by the end. Plus, on a personal note, I used to read these books in grade school, so they feel like coming home to me.

I hope some of these books can do something to brighten your days!

No comments:

Post a Comment