Monday, August 29, 2016

Books I Brought to College

Aah, you guys, sorry it's been a while, but I just moved in to college. So I was busy. And there was a problem with the wi-fi. But now I'm all moved in and connected to the internet.

One of the first things I unpacked was my box of books! It took quite a bit of work to decide which books to bring (one of my best friends and I were talking about how it was like choosing your favorite child), but I did it! I limited myself, and what do you know, I still have room. So the next time I go home, I get to choose some more children to bring.

But anyway, here's the books that made this first trip.



Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I love this book, and it's my mom's favorite book, so we talk about it a lot. I thought it might be nice to have this book for comfort when I'm homesick.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
I love most of the Bronte sisters' books (Don't hate me, but Wuthering Heights was just not my thing). I picked this up at a bookstore on vacation this year, and I didn't want to bring all books that I've already read, so I'm excited for this one.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Not only is this a great book (I've read it twice), but I need it for my English class. So.

Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
This is my favorite Shakespeare play at the moment, I think. I've read it before and seen it a couple times, and I love it. I also need this one for my English class.

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
See my last post for my love of this book and also how it relates to college.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R Martin
Yes, I'm up to the third book in the series! I've found I usually need a break in between books in the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones), but I finished the second one in April, so I'm good to go with this one.

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkein
It has now been a year since I started this book, and I'm still only 40 pages in. The shame... I really liked it, I just got too busy to finish. So hopefully I'll get around to this one soon!

The Uncoupling by Meg Wolitzer
I loved Meg Wolitzer's book The Interestings, so I'm really excited for this. It's about a high school drama teacher who chooses Lysistrata for the school play, and then all the women in the town start turning away from their boyfriends and husbands. Doesn't that sound really interesting?

Villette by Charlotte Bronte
I started this one a year ago, too, and I'm like 100 pages in. I really, really enjoyed this one, too. I think the only thing that stopped me from picking this up again was the fact that I'd have to re-read the first part. But now I'm up for it.

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
I think there was an excerpt from this book on an English test last year, and I really enjoyed the writing style. So I picked this up at a used booksale and brought it along with me!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Come on, I couldn't not bring this one.

Giant Days by John Allison, Lissa Treiman, and Whitney Cogar
This is a graphic novel about three girls in college for the first time, and I've heard good things about it, so I thought I'd bring it.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
This is one of those books that's so large it's intimidating. But I've been wanting to read it for a while, so maybe I'll pick it up if it's here with me?

Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier
This was a birthday gift from my best friend a couple years ago, and I remember really liking it, but not remembering if I ever finished it! I think I may have? But I kind of want to re-read it anyway. It's about a girl whose parents are from India, and she finds when she gets to high school that being Indian is "trendy" now. But it's also about culture clash and how things like this shape your identity.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Also, how could I not bring this book?

Hopeless Savages: Break by Jen Van Meter, Christine Norrie, and Meredith McClaren
This is a graphic novel series about a family of punk rockers.This volume follows Zero as she goes to college and then goes on tour with her band. I've read some of this series, and this book was given to me by my dad, so I was excited to bring it. And I've already read it! I liked it a lot, although at some times it was hard to tell characters apart.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
This is one of my best friends' favorite book, and I've had it for a while, so I thought it was time I read it. I'm almost 200 pages in and I. Love. It. Where I am in the book, things are going well for Edmond Dantes, but there are 400 pages left, so I have a feeling something's about to go wrong.

I'm so excited for this year, and so excited to have these books with me, even though I also can't wait to bring more books back with me when I go home. Happy beginning of the school year, everyone! And happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment