Thursday, July 7, 2016

June Wrap-Up: Books I Loved

Oh my goodness, I have read a ton of fantastic books this month. Even if I stopped after the first week, I would have been happy with the books I read. I'm a little scared about what I'll read next, because I don't know how it will live up to these! Here are some of my favorites from this month:

First of all, Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here. You might recall this book as "the one that was so funny and so good that it got its own completely unplanned and not very well thought out, really more of a gush, post back at the beginning of June." So, my thoughts are there, and they remain the same. I've been trying to think of a pun or a clever way to say I loved it (some sort of "I loved it here" thing), but I can't, so just pretend I'm funny. Thanks.

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera-- this book absolutely wrecked me. I was about twenty pages in, and I thought I'd read a chapter or two before bed, and the next thing I knew, it was 1:30 and I was finishing the book. I don't know what genre I would classify this in-- it's mostly contemporary, but there's some sci-fi in there. I guess it's like a "today's world except..." sort of thing. Basically, it's our world, but there's a medical procedure available where doctors can take away bed memories and rearrange others to make you happier, or forget about PTSD-causing incidents, or things like that.

This was a complete wonder of a book. I'm trying to describe my feelings about it, and I just get more adjectives in front of words like "heartbreaking" and "beautiful" and "also kind of funny in places." I highly recommend this book to anyone who's ever been a human.



Have I talked about Saga yet? Saga is a comic book/graphic novel series by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. It's about a husband and wife from different alien races whose people are currently at war with each other. They're taking care of their daughter, Hazel, who narrates the series. So, it's described as "Star Wars meets Game of Thrones, but also bits of Lord of the Rings and Romeo and Juliet." Basically, there's a ton going on. It's so so good. I've read the first 5 volumes of this, and the sixth one just came out! I'm hoping to get on that soon.

(Saga also comes with a parental warning. There are some pretty explicit scenes. Like, making you blush explicit. If you can handle it though, it's worth it.)

Oh my gosh, Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes. I would like to go back and re-read this already. It was so cute. It's about a girl named Maguire who thinks she's bad luck for everyone around her. Roller coasters jump off tracks, houses catch on fire, and her brother, father, and uncle get killed in a car crash. Maguire is completely fine through all of these--survivor's guilt goes to a kind of extreme if you have this "curse" thing in your head. Anyway, she meets a guy at her therapist's office, and they start working on their issues together. It's really funny and sweet, but not complete fluff, either. It's some pretty heavy stuff.

(Normally, I'm not a huge fan of the whole "this one guy I met that one time is going to start dating me and that will fix my mental state" trope. But this seemed more like the characters were actually working through things than just having things be fixed by being around each other, if that makes any sense.)

Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley was another sort of similar one. It's about a boy who hasn't left his house in years. One girl makes it her mission to "fix" him. Now again, not a huge fan (I swear, I'm not, even though I seem to read it a lot), but spoiler alert, it took more than just this girl's presence to make him come out of his comfort zone. He's not miraculously cured; he's just working on it. And, by the way, this book was extremely funny as well. I enjoyed it a lot.

So I guess those are the top five books I read in June! I hope July brings even more fantastic books. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment