Saturday, July 16, 2016

Currently Reading: Weekend of July 15, 2016

It's time for another really short update! I've been kind of busy, so I haven't been reading a ton, but I did do better this week than I did last week. I am making progress in Alexander Hamilton (If you're marking it by how the musical progresses, I'm a few songs into Act 2). And I read My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows. It's got historical characters (the Tudors and Lady Jane Grey), but everything else is more loosely based in true facts. The book starts with an apology to England, "for what we're about to do to your history." I laughed out loud several times and I enjoyed it a lot.

Then I finished This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I've been wanting to read more Fitzgerald since I read The Great Gatsby a couple years ago, and this one lived up to my expectations. It had all the search for self/men caught up in their own intellectualism/American dreams of Gatsby. All right, so I didn't actually like the characters that much? I mean, Amory wasn't the worst protagonist I've ever read about, but I don't think I'd want to be friends with him. However, I did enjoy the book (One of those "not sure why, but it was good and I'd read more of it if there were more" books). 

So, there's the super short update you've heard tell about. I'm hoping to read some more books this week--I've got a pretty big pile of library books waiting for me. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment