Saturday, June 4, 2016

Random Recommendation

It happened. Remember when I said, maybe I'll start a new book Friday night, if I'm feeling like it? Well, I started it. Then I slept for a while. Then I got up, read as I ate my breakfast, read while I got ready for work, and finished the book in the car on the way to work (I wasn't driving; it's okay).

See this? Look at this cover.

Put this image in your brain, and the next time you go to the library or bookstore, pick it up. It is so good.



Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here is by Anna Breslaw, and it's about Scarlett, a girl living in New Jersey (coincidentally, she hates it there). She writes fanfiction for a tv show that was just cancelled, so she's got some time on her hands. But, Scarlett, you should know better than to write fanfiction that is so closely based on your classmates that they all have the same names (spoiler: she doesn't know better).

Listen. I don't know what kind of books about fangirls or fanfiction you've read, but this one gets it completely right. I've read so many that have disappointed me by making girls who read a lot, or watch tv a lot, or are fans of things in general, seem crazy, intense, or unbearably awkward. But Scarlett's funny, she's sarcastic, and one of her best friends is a 73-year-old feminist who smokes marijuana.

Right?

It's so funny. I laughed out loud so many times. But it's also really touching in places, and there's so much character growth in so many characters.

For fans of: Rainbow Rowell, Jesse Andrews

If you get a chance, read this book! And then tell me, because I'd love to discuss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment