Saturday, June 18, 2016

Currently Reading: Weekend of June 17

As I think I mentioned last time, this was a busy week. I didn't have a ton of time for reading, but I'm really enjoying what I am reading! Right now, that's a couple things.

I just finished The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 3, by Ryan North and Erica Henderson. Have I recommended this comic series to you all yet? If not, consider this your recommendation. It's set in the Marvel Universe, and it stars Doreen Green, a girl who has squirrel superpowers. It is hilarious, you guys. It's so great.

I'm also currently reading Everything That Rises Must Converge, a collection of short stories by Flannery O'Connor (Wow, can you say "two books you wouldn't expect to be reading at the same time" or what?). I'm really not sure how I'm feeling about this. I enjoy Flannery O'Connor's writing style, but it's from the 1960s, so there are more than a few social/racial issues with it. I mean, obviously often books that are called classics have some issues regarding the morals that were acceptable in the time they were written, but it doesn't mean I'm completely comfortable with them. Anyway, a review of this book on Goodreads starts, "Sometimes Flannery O'Connor feels like a verbally abusive boyfriend that you just keep going back to," and I think that's a pretty good description. They're not optimistic by any means. But they're good.

Okay, so I hope to finish that book this weekend, because I've been piling up books from the library (Working at, and therefore going to the library twice a week, surprisingly, does not keep the TBR low). Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment