Friday, June 24, 2016

Currently Reading: June 24

So, this week there were a couple big storms in my area. Because of that, we lost power for a while and internet for even longer. And do you know what's really good for reading time? No internet access. I've had a really good reading week. Quick recap:

I finished The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler. It wasn't my favorite, but it had a main character from Tobago, and there were feminist themes throughout, so I appreciated it. 

Then I picked up A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I've had a summer reading list for four and a half years, so I've been in a sort of "classics withdrawal." I don't know if I liked it or not. I mean, it was weird. Really weird. All right, I'm just going to have to come back to this later, when I've had more time to think about it. 

I also read Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes. It was so good, and keep your eyes out for a longer review/gush in a post next week. Right now, I'll just say it was fluffy and funny and fantastic.

Then I read The Marked Girl by Lindsey Klingele (Remember this one from my anticipated June reads? I read it!). I enjoyed it--it was a nice twist on the "fantasy world" sort of thing, since it was set in present-day LA. 

I also finally got around to The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater! I really, really like this series, and I'm very happy with the way it ended. Since it's the last of the series, I can't really give you a synopsis (have to avoid spoilers at all costs, you know), but I will recommend that you read The Raven Boys, the first book. It's unlike anything I've ever read before.

Finally, I read You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan. It's about a boy and girl who meet during Pride Week and start helping each other with their love lives. I've liked most David Levithan books I've read, and this one is no exception. I liked it a lot, and it was too short. I'd read more of anything with these characters.

And right now, I'm reading The Bad-ass Librarians of Timbuktu by Joshua Hammer. It's a nonfiction book about librarians trying to save Arabic texts from Al Qaeda. I'm only about twenty pages in, but I'm liking it so far. 

So, maybe we should have our internet go out more often (gasp). On the bright side, I'm almost out of library books, so when I go to the library tomorrow, I'll be able to check out a lot of books without the guilt! Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment