Tuesday, March 8, 2016

March TBR

I was just looking at my February TBR, and I realized that I have read exactly one of those (Stars Above was fantastic, though, so I don't feel too bad). Also, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie came to my town to do an event, so I had to read a few of her works--I read the novel Purple Hibiscus which I loved, the speech We Should All Be Feminists which I loved, and Americanah which, you guessed it, I loved. I didn't know she was going to be in the area until about halfway through February, so I hadn't put those on my TBR, but naturally they jumped up the list.

Anyway.

All that to say that I'll be shifting Salt to the Sea and Me Before You to this month's TBR. I think March has always felt like kind of an in-between month to me. My school's musical is always in February, and Spring Break and my birthday are next month, so March just seems like a waiting time. That makes it the perfect month to play catch up on my TBR, so here we go--some of the things I've been hanging on to but haven't read yet.

The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman
Argh, I have been shamed. Yes, this was on my January TBR. No, I haven't read it yet. I'm still very excited, but there were other things going on when I had planned to read it. See, I read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, Passenger by Alexandra Bracken, and Truthwitch by Susan Dennard all pretty much in a row, so I wasn't in the mood for another fantasy or supernatural book. I think I actually went from those to reading a bunch of Colleen Hoover novels (more on those later). So, even though I wasn't in the mood then, I'm in the mood now. I hope to get to this one this month.

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Yes, I know I'm so behind on this craze (It came out almost ten years ago!). But I did want to read this a few years ago. My library didn't have a copy. But there it was on the new shelf a few weeks ago, a brand-new hardcover copy of this book! So now it's sitting on my bookshelf, begging to be read. Some day. It's set in a mental hospital, and it's supposed to be fantastic.

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
Oh, have I talked about how much I love books about books yet? I do. This one's about a woman from Sweden who travels to Iowa to meet her pen pal, but it turns out the pen pal has just died. She then opens a bookstore in the small town. Okay, so there's that (I'm already excited), and then the synopsis on Goodreads says, "Reminiscent of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." I'm in.

 I hope to get to these, and maybe even a few others this month (Here's a note from me a day after I wrote this blog: I started The Dark Days Club and the only thing that stopped me from reading all of it last night was the fact that my eyes actually wouldn't stay open. It's really interesting so far).

Happy reading, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bridget,
    I am currently reading A Wrinkle in Time with Koen. As soon as we are done I am getting The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend. You sold me on it! I love to read a book that takes place in a location familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Wrinkle in Time is one of my absolute favorites! I've read it several times. I hope you enjoy! I'm about halfway done with The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, and I'm already recommending it to a lot of people. (So far) I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete