Sunday, January 25, 2015

The "On My Shelf" Tag

I love book tags, so when I saw this one over on Ariel Bissett's YouTube channel, I knew I wanted to do it (her video is here)! Here's how the "On My Shelf" Tag works. You choose a random number that will correspond to a shelf on your bookcase. Then you choose another number, to correspond with a book on that shelf. Then you write about that book for a little bit.

1. Shelf 1, Book 12
 Legend by Marie Lu
I think I've talked about this one quite enough, but just in case you missed it the first three hundred times, I loved this book. I read it during a time when I thought I was completely over dystopian YA, but it was so wonderful, I just couldn't dislike it.



2. Shelf 6, Book 21
 The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket
To be honest, I don't remember this one quite as much as I remember the rest of the series. For some reason, my younger self thought that putting the Baudelaires in a situation where they might get sawed open in a hospital was much too dark (Incidentally, the next book included a hungry lion in a circus, and I thought that was fine). Anyway, I'm still on my quest to own all the books in A Series of Unfortunate Events--I've made up my mind that I'm buying them at used bookstores, not in a boxed set from a chain store.

3. Shelf 5, Book 9
 The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
I haven't read this book in a while, and I think it's about time to re-read it. I remember being very upset that I couldn't go to the meeting when my book club was going to discuss it. It just seems like the kind of book that would give everyone different thoughts and emotions and opinions. I would love to talk about this one with someone (or many someones!).

4. Shelf 3, Book 25
 Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen
Yes, I admit it. There was a time when I was a huge Sarah Dessen fan. I still like her, and I'll read her books when they come out, but oh my goodness, a couple of years ago, I was semi-obsessed. This book is about a girl named Halley whose best friend is pregnant--and the father was killed in a motorcycle accident. Aside from the fact that I thought I was incredibly cool by reading something so risqué, this book was not a fantastic book. It was touching, and very sweet towards the end, but it just didn't stand out to me that much.

5. Shelf 2, Book 9
 Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Okay, I have abnormally clear memories about reading this one. I was in eighth grade and it was pajama day at my school--some sort of Spirit Week, I assume; that part's not so clear. Anyway, my friends and I were having a fight, because it was eighth grade and that's what happens, so when it came time for D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read), and everyone sat down in little groups to read together, I sat by myself. But the thing is, when I started reading this book, I completely forgot about all that (Stop it. Stop rolling your eyes at me. It happened).
And that's why Jane Austen was monumental in my growing as a reader--not just because Pride and Prejudice was one of the first classics I read, but because for some reason, an eighth grader in the Midwest could relate to Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Just the sight of this book makes me smile. It's a comfort. Maybe this one's due for a re-read as well.

So that's a little bit of what's on my shelf! These books weren't what I would have picked to represent my reading habits, but they kind of worked. I love hearing what other people are reading, so let me know! What's on your shelf?



No comments:

Post a Comment