Saturday, January 31, 2015

Libraries and Why I Love Them

Here's a pretty accurate account of my thoughts during a semi-weekly trip to my local library:

Look at all the pretty new books! So many choices...
 Ooh, new books from Gayle Forman, Ally Carter, Holly Black [the list can go on for a while]! I should get them all. 
I probably won't have time to read them all.
I'm getting them all.
There are so many books I want to read! Maybe I could start a new series this week. I've heard this one's pretty good...
Okay, the plot sounds interesting. Add it to the pile.
Recently returned shelf! I haven't seen this book on the shelves for ages! I'd better grab it before it gets checked out again.
All right, I'm running out of room in my arms for all these books. I should just go check out.
Hold shelf! Aaand four books I had put on hold last week. Well. I mean, they literally have my name on them. I have to check them out, right?

And then I go home with way too many books.



Libraries are great, and not just because you can get all these books without spending all your money on them (unless you get a lot of fines from overdue books, that is). That moment of seeing all the new books? It's beautiful. I started grinning like an idiot today, when I realized I could actually pick up Gayle Forman's new book and take it home with me.

And the other thing I love about libraries...

I love reading, but I'm kind of skeptical about trying new things. I've gotten better about reading different genres, but it's going to take some time for me to walk into a bookstore, see a crime novel, and say, "You know what? I'm going to try that!" and buy it.

At a library, if I get a book that I end up hating, I can just return it. No money lost, no questions asked. And funnily enough, I usually like the book. If I hadn't seen it at the library, I might never have read it... See where this is going?


So. I'd just like to thank my library for feeding my book addiction for so long. I hope yours does, too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment