Saturday, January 10, 2015

Books to Cuddle With on a Snow Day

Who needs ice-skating and sledding when you've got books?

After a December with minimal snow (at least where I live), January seems very aggressive. So when I got a few snow days last week, I sought comfort in books. Essentials for staying warm: sweaters, blankets, hot chocolate, and books.


My favorite book that I read this week was My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. I chose this one because it's set in the summer, in a cute little Connecticut town. And when I finished reading it, I was truly surprised to see the snow still falling outside. Wasn't it just the Fourth of July?

My Life Next Door is the story of Samantha Reed, who, against her mother's wishes, gets to know her neighbors. The characters were really cute, but also realistic and flawed. And did I mention how much it actually felt like summer?

Okay, but not all of us can find a contemporary set during summer in Connecticut, especially if we're snowed in. So if you can't escape winter by reading about summer, the next best thing to read about is: super-powered teens and an antihero.

Obviously, I'm talking about The Young Elites by Marie Lu. Recommended for: fans of Graceling, Legend. Basic, over-simplified plot: An illness spread throughout the nation in the years before this book takes place, and those that survived are often marked with scars. Some of these "marked" are known as the Young Elites, because they also received special powers. The main character, Adelina, joins them and works to control her power: creating strange illusions for whomever she chooses.

This book was fantastic. It was fast-paced, I read it in an afternoon, and I can't stop thinking about it, a week later. There's revolution, plotting, spying, deceit, romance and, of course, tons of action. I was so busy trying to figure out what might happen next that I didn't even notice the sub-zero temperatures.

Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment