Friday, December 5, 2014

Best of 2014, Part One

I was going to just make one "Best of 2014" list, but I couldn't narrow it down. So during the month of December, I'll be breaking down my favorite books into different categories. Let's start with Best New Author--my favorite books I read by an author I'd never read before (In no particular order).

The Originals by Cat Patrick
Three clones try to live their own lives. My introduction to the science-fiction young adult wonder that is Cat Patrick.




Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
Clay works at a bookstore that's really a front for a secret society trying to find the key to immortality. I kept trying to compare it to something, but I came up with absolutely nothing. It was beautiful and I want to go to the bookstore, okay?

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Hey, I didn't say they had to be new books--just new to me. I read this in my English class and loved it (not as much as I loved Franny and Zooey, but that was my second Salinger novel, so I can't include that). Holden might be obnoxious at times, but I kind of enjoyed his constantly changing perspective on life. You phony.

[Note: this is not the original cover. The original one is the one I'm talking about in my description. This one I had to include because it's beautiful. Isn't it pretty?]
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Oh my goodness, if only I hadn't put off reading this book because of its title/cover. Don't judge a book by its title or cover, I know, but I did. I also read the companion novels, Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After, but Anna was the best one, in my opinion. Anna is an American who goes to school in France. Now I want to go to France (like I didn't before. Ha).

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
Why hadn't I read anything by A.S. King before? I don't know. I have no good excuse. But this one got me hooked. Astrid is questioning her sexuality and can't turn to anyone in her life, so she asks the people on the planes flying above. I felt so strongly for this character that I honestly wanted to punch the bullies in this book. Really. 

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Have I mentioned how much I love Scott Pilgrim? I must have, right? I love Scott Pilgrim. He wants to be able to date Ramona, but he has to defeat her evil exes first. This first book in the series just hooked me. I read two a week until I finished, and let me tell you, it took a ton of willpower to not check them all out at once.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
I absolutely loved this story, even though it was about people looking for treasure in a video game and I don't play video games. I was scared I would be completely lost, but there were just enough 80s movie references to keep me on the right track. I can't wait to re-read this book.

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
I was trying to describe this book to someone recently, and I couldn't think of anything except, "art." It's about twins who are both very talented in artistic ways, and a traumatic experience pulls them apart. But the writing, the writing was so beautiful! It was artwork.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
I don't even know what it was about this book that made me love it so much. But with every page, I just kept saying, "Yes! Yes, that's it!" Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Intellectuals, discuss.

Legend by Marie Lu
This was one that I could not believe I hadn't read sooner. I wrote about this in last week's blog, so I'll keep this short, but this book was SO. GOOD.

So, those are my top ten books by new authors in 2014! Let me know what you think. What were your favorites?
Happy December!

No comments:

Post a Comment