Saturday, November 29, 2014

Page-Turners

The holidays are coming. We've had Halloween and Thanksgiving, and now it's almost December... Time for carols and eggnog and decorating houses and traveling to visit family.

In those travels, you--like me--might find yourself sitting for a long period of time, whether that's in a plane, train, or automobile. As I've found out recently, in this situation, it's good to have a book that you can't put down. If you put it down, you end up staring out the window and doing a lot of nothing. If you've got a page-turner, the hours until your fabulous holiday vacation fly by.



Some page-turners I recommend:


Legend by Marie Lu--I finally got around to reading this. One of my friends just kept talking it up to me until I gave in. And I am so glad I did. Seriously. I think I read this in about two hours. The story of Day, the criminal, and June, the soldier who has to find/arrest him made me wish it could go on for two more hours. So, good news: I'll be moving on to Champion and Prodigy. 


They All Fall Down by Roxanne St. Claire-- I read the synopsis on Goodreads and I knew I had to read it. Ten girls are put on the "Hottie List" at their high school, and then they start dying, one by one. It seemed like a mix of The List by Siobhan Vivian and a Sara Shephard book. While I've read some reviews of it that call it demeaning to women and relying on plot twist to get attention, I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and the ideas were creative. Whatever it was, I read it very quickly.


Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King--I read this one so quickly mainly to figure out what was going on. It was so confusing and weird and wonderful. King pulled it all together and the ending was not disappointing. This one's about a girl who drinks a bat (yes, you read that right) and then starts to see the future. You try to stop reading it.

Happy travels, wherever and whenever you go. Bring a good book and enjoy the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment