Saturday, November 22, 2014

I'm Thankful For...

It's almost Thanksgiving. And you know what that means...

Pumpkin pie. I'm so thankful for pumpkin pie.

In all honesty though, I am very, very thankful for books. I mentioned last week that when I'm stressed, I go straight to books. I don't know what I'd do if that wasn't an option. There's just something about taking a break from whatever else might be going on in your life and reading.



I'm thankful for David Handler, aka Lemony Snicket, who was exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up. He gave me a love for books within books, stories about orphans intertwined with stories about Beatrice. And I truly think I would not be as sarcastic as I am now had I not read A Series of Unfortunate Events. While my parents--and other people who have to deal with me on a daily basis--might not be thankful for that, I am.

I'm thankful for Jane Austen, because I think Pride and Prejudice may have been the first "classic" book I read (at least, the first I can remember, so it left a mark on me in some way). This sparked a complete love of all things Austen, which then acted as a gateway drug to many other classics, including Jane Eyre.

I'm thankful for Meg Cabot who, let's face it, if I hadn't been sarcastic enough before, inspired me with her characters' quick wits and role model characteristics. If I couldn't be Lemony Snicket, I wanted to be Mia Thermopolis when I was growing up. And not because of the princess thing, I just liked how she talked.

I'm thankful for everyone who has ever given me a book recommendation. Those are some of my favorite things in the world. Knowing that someone either a) loves the book enough to tell everyone they know to read it, or b) loves you enough to want you to read good books... That's such a good feeling. Honestly. If you're stuck on what to get someone for Christmas this year, you can't go wrong with buying someone a book you recently loved (Unless, of course, that person either can't read or won't read. Then go for a gift card).

And most of all, I'm thankful that I live in a world where reading is so available. I can go to the library and get anything from The Odyssey to the latest Heroes of Olympus book. I can download The Awakening on my computer. I'm thankful for the chance to read, and I'm thankful for all the wonderful things there are to read.

Happy Thanksgiving.






No comments:

Post a Comment