Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Bit of Light Reading

Okay, I know. It's November. Where has the year gone?

If you're in school, you're probably in the midst of projects and papers and tests and are finals really in a month?? If you're an adult, you've probably got Thanksgiving plans to make and leaves to rake and, um, SNOW TO SHOVEL. Plus other adult stuff, like voting and taxes and etc.

Whatever it is that's stressing you out--and don't deny it, I know you're stressed--reading will help. Whenever I'm super stressed, I do what is probably the worst thing for me to do: I ignore my obligations and I escape into a favorite book. Here are a few of the books I like to escape with.



An Abundance of Katherines by John Green--It's a light book in that it's short and it's lighthearted. But it's also really smart and cute and it just makes me smile. And isn't that really all anyone needs?


Percy Jackson and The Olympians (series) by Rick Riordan--I devoured this series when I was in fifth-ish grade. Reading about Percy, Annabeth and Grover defeating monsters takes me back to a less stressful time.

(On a sort of related note, I'm just starting the Heroes of Olympus series. I know, I'm way behind, but I did read The Lost Hero when it came out. I think Percy Jackson was too fresh in my mind and I hated the new characters just because they were new. Bottom line: I don't like change. Now that I've had a proper mourning period, I'm ready to go.)


This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen--yes, I'm one of those Sarah Dessen girls. But honestly, her books are so cute. And Dexter, the love interest in this book, is my favorite of the Sarah Dessen guys. Yes, I love this book, but that's not even the only reason I read it when I'm stressed. Remy's about to go to college in this book, and she has no idea what she's doing with her life, and it just makes me happy that I'm not the only one (Is that taking pleasure in someone else's pain? Because she gets Dexter, right? I don't feel that bad for her).

So, if you're stressed, try to read a childhood favorite, a happy, light book, or a book that makes you feel better about your situation (even if there's not MUCH similarity to the book's situation). And if none of that works, just relax. There's only about a week and a half left until Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment