Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Year (So Far) In Books

This morning, I finished Sara Shepard's The Perfectionists. I've been writing down the books that I read all year, so when I went to log this book... I realized it was the 150th book I've read this year. 150 books! So I looked back at some of those 150 books. And I was surprised to find that I remember why/where/when I read a lot of these.




The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams--My book club's January pick. I read it on the stairs at my grandpa's house over Christmas/New Year's break. It was the perfect book to read on break--funny and easy to read, but not book candy (which, while good, is not the best to read when you're trying to retain some of the fancy knowledge you gained first semester).

The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress--Three girls solve mysteries in London at the turn of the century. The tagline was "An action-packed tale of gowns, guys, and guns--and the heroines who use them all." How could I not read that? It was fantastic. I read it in the brown chair in my living room in the morning before school.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle--I re-read this at practice for my school musical. I was sitting on the floor of our auditorium, surrounded by backpacks and the other students who weren't in the scene we were practicing. I knew I loved it when I read it in fifth grade,  but oh my gosh, this time I fell in love with it so much more.


The Magicians by Lev Grossman--I had seen an article somewhere on the interwebs that was "If You Loved These Children's Books, You Should Read..." Guess which one this was based on? Harry Potter, of course. Even though I hate comparing books like that (and I completely disagree with this comparison in particular; there were wizards and the similarity ends there), I read this book. And I'm glad I did. I put off homework till Sunday as I read this on a March Saturday on my bed.

Invisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Levithan--I had gone to a book sale (see my first blog post for more info about the ridiculously cheap book sales I go to) and found this book. I had read it before. I bought it. Then I went to the library to wait for my ride, and I started re-reading this book. I think I made it through fifty pages or so, sitting there in the lobby of the library.

Noggin by John Corey Whaley--I took my last two finals in June, and I went home for about an hour before leaving again. I didn't know if I would finish this book in time, but I did. Because it was marvelous. Travis had his head cryogenically frozen only to wake up in five years. So he's only missed a little bit, but he's behind everyone else. Life goes on without you. Even though the majority of this book was funny, it was so sad. The perfect mix. I read this on my bed, still wearing my shoes from school.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman--This one I knew I could finish. I read it on the couch in my living room and cried. I watched the trailer for the movie and cried. And then that night I went to see the movie The Fault in Our Stars, and the trailer played there and I cried (Not to mention the TFiOS-induced tears). It was a sad day full of great YA fiction.


Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger-- I loved this book. I read it in the car on the way to Iowa this past summer. And I loved it. I finished it somewhere between Chicago and Des Moines.

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins--I had Lola on audiobook, so I read (listened to) it while walking my dog around the neighborhood.

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp--Read at the kitchen table at my grandpa's house in Pennsylvania, on a Saturday morning.

The Perfectionists by Sara Shepard-- Started it last night before bed, finished it this morning in the brown chair of The Friday Society fame. I could not stop reading. It's not even that I love Sara Shepard books, or her characters (I had a really hard time telling the five girls apart), but her books are so fantastical and soap opera-ish that it's difficult to put them down.

I could go on, of course. But who has time to read about 150 books when you could, I don't know, read 150 books?

I can't wait to find more books to add to this list. Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment