Saturday, October 4, 2014

All the Genres

Until recently, I was strictly a young adult reader (except for the occasional classic or the children's books when I was... a child). But this summer, I've really gotten into a lot of different genres. I've especially come to love graphic novels, and there are some fantastic adult books that I've found, and I just got a book of essays from the library... I'm so happy that I read a variety of books now. And I know that I have so many other things to read. The options are endless and intimidating, but also really exciting.



Here are a few of the books I've recently liked from genres I don't normally read:


No Matter the Wreckage by Sarah Kay--Sarah Kay is one of my favorite poets. We watched her TedTalk in a Creative Writing class I took last fall, and I have never looked back. When her book of poetry came out this summer, I couldn't wait. And then I couldn't believe how good it was. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats.

The Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley--As I said, I got really into graphic novels this summer. I volunteer at my local library and I saw Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, so I got it. I had heard it was good, and I needed something to read. I thought it might be a fun book to read. Huge understatement. Huge. Do you know how difficult it was for me to limit myself to two Scott Pilgrim books a week? So, so difficult.

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life  by Amy Krouse Rosenthal--another great find from my Creative Writing class. Rosenthal alphabetized her life in a sometimes hilarious, sometimes sad, always amazing encyclopedia that I devoured in a weekend.


Ready Player One by Ernest Cline--I can't even explain how fantastic this book was. It's adult science fiction, and... how do I explain the plot? In the future, there's this huge, multiplayer video game that's really a virtual world. The guy who created it died and left his will as a treasure hunt inside it. This is the story of a few people trying to win. Now, let me say that I'm not a video game person at all. I've played Guitar Hero at my neighbor's house a few times, and I've had a nine year old beat me at Super Mario Kart, but that's pretty much it. Don't let your experience/inexperience with video games stop you from reading this amazing book. (It also has tons of references to the 1980s. But seriously, don't let that stop you, either.) I loved every page of this book.

So, that's poetry, graphic novels, nonfiction, and adult science fiction. I love that I can say I read so many genres now! I think it is of the utmost importance to not get so boxed into one genre. There are so many wonderful books out there, and I'd hate to miss any.

No comments:

Post a Comment