Saturday, September 20, 2014

Books to Movies

Yesterday, I heard (or read, I guess) that Universal Studios optioned the film rights for Let It Snow, a short story collection by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle. So I decided it was the perfect time to talk about book to movie adaptations.


At the beginning of the summer this year, I went to see The Fault in Our Stars and I enjoyed it. Then there was the announcement about Paper Towns being made into a movie and I was pretty excited. And now... I have some issues.




Let's not get confused here--I don't want books to stop being made into movies. I just don't like the idea of the pictures I had in my head while reading books going away. I can't think of what I thought Hazel and Augustus looked like the first time I read The Fault in Our Stars. I didn't even see If I Stay, but I don't know what Mia looked like in my head. It's just Chloë Grace Moretz.

I love it when young adult books get turned into movies. I really do. And there's nothing wrong with the people who make the movies, or the people who are in the movies. But I miss my versions of the characters (Especially because Hermione Granger looked a lot like me). Also, I know that--at least in the case of The Fault in Our Stars--the movies convince some people to read the books. So... I'm out of luck.

I'm looking forward to all the young adult books that will be movies in the future, but I'm also really dreading the day when I'll lose my idea of the insane road trip in Paper Towns, when Q and his friends skip graduation and have to go to the gas station and plan everything down to the second, all in their graduation robes. Oh, well. At least until the movie rights to Just One Day are sold, I'll always have [my version of] Paris.

(Wow, this ended up a lot more John Green-centric than I planned it to be. But with the TFiOS craze and the Let it Snow hype going on, I guess it was inevitable. But let it be noted that I do, in fact, read books that aren't written by John Green or Gayle Forman.)

No comments:

Post a Comment